alex albright creative nonfiction Prize
WINNING ESSAY WILL BE PUBLISHED in nclr.
Finalists will also be considered for publication in NCLR or NCLR Online.
* We have $1000 for this competition's prize(s), with the prize for first place being at least $250 and up to the full $1000, depending on how many pieces are selected for publication (one in 2019 and 2015, for example, four in 2018 and 2020).
NCLR considers creative nonfiction submissions only through the Alex Albright Creative Nonfiction Prize Competition, named for NCLR's Founding Editor.
Submission period: January 15 through March 1.
Eligibility Criteria & Submission Guidelines
The Alex Albright Creative Nonfiction Prize competition is open to any writer who fits the NCLR definition of a North Carolina writer: anyone who currently lives in North Carolina, has lived in North Carolina, or uses North Carolina as subject matter.
- Previously unpublished submissions only. Previously unpublished submissions only. Published means the work has appeared for public consumption in any form: print, online, digital, etc.
- Writers may submit (previously unpublished material only), creative nonfiction (including memoir, personal essays, travel writing, and other forms of cnf) of up to 7500 words, from January 15 through March 1. (NCLR reserves the right to extend the deadline if deemed necessary.)
- In lieu of a submission fee, writers must be NCLR subscribers to submit to this competition
(one year/$16 or two years/$27).
If you are not already a subscriber, you will be directed to subscribe after you submit.
- The subscription requirement is waived for members of the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association.* Join the NCLHA at this link. (Funding for this competition comes from the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association's contribution to NCLR's budget.)
* Members of the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association receive both the NCLR and the North Carolina Historical Review as part of their membership fees.
- Submit electronically via in a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
- The author's name must not appear in the file. Name the file with the title of the submission.
- Multiple submissions are accepted (two with a 2-year subscription, unlimited for members of the NC Literary and Historical Association).
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. Please notify us immediately if your submission has been accepted for publication elsewhere. It will be withdrawn from the prize competition and will not be considered for publication in NCLR.
- All who submit will receive notification of the competition results via email within 3-4 months of the deadline, and a press release will be posted on the NCLR website and on social media, as well as sent out to the media.
- The authors of the essays selected to be published in the print issue will receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their story appears (in addition to their subscription copy).